Sunday, April 11, 2010

Everything going as planned. Feeling great, working, playing but still really enjoying an occasional "rest." FPU slowly but surely coming around and adjusting to have food flow thru it. Some days I really want to eat and then there are the others. But, I can't complain because I sleep great and I have Lynda with me almost all the time and I have Deb and Ed and two of my wonderful grandkids close all the time. OK, that brings up a story that I have to tell, about yesterday. I may have shared with you that I set as a goal, running a 5 K on April 10, when I started my rehab in January. If you could have seen me then you (as well as all my friends who did see me) would have thought I was crazy, and perhaps I was. (As an "aside" here, I believe one works harder at what one does if on has a goal, regardless how small or ridiculous.) Well, yesterday was the day, and with the encouragement of Lynda (plus Debbie, Claire and Clay went with me) I did it. The kids ran the 1 K which was at 8 AM and I chugged off on my 5 K at 8:30. The furtherist I have run since Jan. 1 was 1 1/2 miles so I had no idea how well my energy would hold up. I had worked my mile time down to 12:20 but that was only one time. Thought the first mile marker would never come. My whole body was tight as a drum. Finally it appeared and I began to relax and I didn't feel as bad as I thought I would. Time for that mile was less that 13 minutes. Surprise to me. Clicked on thru the second mile the same way and now I'm feeling confident. Third mile was the fastest of all, 12:32 and with a good push the last 1/10 of a mile I "beat" the 40 minute mark. And then the "crowning achievement" was that there were only three people in my age group (70-99) and I got a third place trophy. I had been discussing my last year with the guy that handles the timing of the race (that I've known for about 25 years) why he had not seen me in over a year and it turned out he was handling the trophy presentation and he mentioned my challenge to the crowd and my grandkids said, "Pops, your famous. Everybody knows you and likes you." Put tears in my eyes!
Came home from the race and then Lynda and I went to visit our buddy, which you all have been praying for, Tommy T and I'm sorry to report that it looks like he will be received by the Lord in the next few days. I'm proud to report that he and I shared our childhood experiences, which were very similar in our Baptist upbringing, and he is a Christian. We will celebrate his life. God is good.

2 comments:

  1. Tom and I have been in NYC for a week, but we read and loved the story about your version of the Amazing Race! What an absolutely marvel you are, dear Leighton.

    Blessings on your friend, Tommy T. and his family.

    Love, Grace

    ReplyDelete