Thursday, April 29, 2010

Had a guy remark to me last week, "You're looking great. How do you feel?" I thought on that, and finally replied. "If I told you I feel great, I'd be lying, but, I'm still "feeling" and that's great!"
Honestly, I still have to remind myself that where I am is so much better that where I have been and so, so much better that where I could be.
I was doubly reminded of that the last coupla of days. I had "met" the mother of man who had esophageal cancer as like me. Has all the same doctors. And yesterday, he had his surgery. Visiting him yesterday reminded me (again) how blessed I am. He is doing great. (And I use that term "in context" because laying in a hospital bed having been flayed ain't fun Magee!") Seeing him lying there and listening to the experiences that he was having brought back a flood of memories that I had "deep sixed." Wow, that was not a fun time. Makes me realize that dealing with not being to be able to gain weight and "grow" my energy are minor problems. Plus trying to figure out what my FPC is going to do!
Lost my buddy Tommy T last week. Tough. He was one of those great guys. He was great friend and a dentist. What I like to say about Tom is that he lived his life "in the plural." Tom's life was never about Tom. First, and foremost, it was about his sweetie of over 40 years, Patti. Then is was about his family. His Mom and Dad, until he lost them, then his son, daughter in law and his two grandboys, plus his sister. And, it was his team at work. No one ever worked "for" him, they worked "with" him. Then there was the charity work that he did. Was a Rotarian for more years than I know. Plus, he was a founding member of the Lawn Chair Drill Team, of which I had the honor of being there with him. (And that may be a chapter for another day.) Tommy had a great Baptist upbringing like I did. Met and accepted the Lord years ago and I'm confident that he's in a much happier place right now. Knowing that makes it easier for those of us who loved him.
Please keep me and my buddy Jimmy D, who is doing well I might add, and now my cancer journey partner Gary C. Obviously what you have been doing is working and I love you all for it.
God is good.

1 comment:

  1. Leighton,

    Sorry you lost your friend, Tom, but you have gained a new one, Gary. What I really love about you is that you are reaching out to others in the midst of your own tough times. You are a remarkable guy whom I am blessed to call "friend."

    With love and admiration, Grace

    ReplyDelete