Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Scan is Back and the news is good. The surgeon, (who is 50 and does triathlons --- and I sure put my faith in people who like to take care of their own bodies!), told me today that we are "a go" if I want to do surgery to "route around the twist." Now, even better news. I'm now able to get down soups and such, again, and this time without regurgitating them back up. Lynda and I look at it this way. The Lord, just may, be using the chemo to "untwist the twist" so we are putting the surgeon "on hold."
We lost a week of chemo and now this week I am doing my 96 hour 5FU. The "skip" did allow me to be at the top of my game for the Lawn Chair Drill Team performance last weekend (more on that later) and it will allow me to go to my nephew's wedding in Santa Fe on Oct. 3. Lynda and I will join Gary and Angie for one day at the Albuquerque Balloon Festival. Will send pictures. The only down side of doing the 5FU this week that I will hauling around Friday and Saturday at our big parts move --- but Lynda and spent all of yesterday reviewing all that's to be done so now she will working with Ed and I'll be the kibitzer from the sidelines. Hey, I can handle that.
The deal last Saturday night was the awards banquet for our Chamber of Commerce. (And, our LCDT performance was the opening act, not only for the gala but for the grand opening of the new Hurst Convention Center.) Our Chamber represents three cities, Hurst, Euless and Bedford. I have been a director two times. Once in the 90's and then I was asked again late 2008 and then as you know, I broke my leg January 2009 and then found out I had cancer June of the same year. My participation has been limited, to say the least. Well, to my great surprise, I was awarded the last award.
I was so stunned that I didn't listen as to why. It must have been for "Lifetime Achievement." I was humbled and honored. Lynda and laughed (and cried) that they decided to do it while I was still around.
The Lord has been beside us thru this whole journey but this week we were able to scrap away all the stuff that we had allowed to come between He and us and feel so much more of his love. And you know, His love, also, comes to us thru your prayers and we feel them every day. Love you all.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe you missed you calling -- should have been a writer. I loved it and you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I had a lifetime achievement award to give out, it would go to you, but since I am awardless, I think I will simply say that you are one of a kind; a humanitarian; a funny guy; an inspiration; a loving husband, father and grandfather; a believer; and one great friend to me. At one time, you were a heck of a drummer, as well.

    Lucky me, I know and love Leighton and Lynda. Grace

    ReplyDelete