Saturday, December 12, 2009

Slowly up the mountain you go. Savoring every extra foot of altitude. Knowing that you had seen the peak as you traveled to the base you look forward to reaching it. And then you step thru the trees and the terrain is as flat as a pool table as far as you can see. Suddenly, you panic. Further in the distance you see the top but you begin to doubt if you can get there in the time you have. Quit and go back or travel on? A quick prayer answers that. We started this journey we'll finish it!
All that to say this. I swore I wouldn't write another word until I had something to report --- and today I do. I ate the first solid food in four months that tasted like it was supposed to. A chicken wing. Now, I sure hope some of my tastes come back because it going to be kinda challenging eating chicken all the time!
Went to the surgery doc last week and he released me to start working out. On the orders: "This patient is very deconditioned." Don't know if that's even a word but he was dang sure right. First, they had me walk a mile. Took me 19 minutes and 8 seconds. (Compared to 8:30 last year.) Next came a twenty workout at weights that my wife would have felt were too light. But guess what? I barely made it thru --- and then I went home and slept like a baby for two hours, but it was a start. Small steps but toward the top, which I could never have taken without the prayer support that all you have given me.
Enough for today. But before I go I ask that you add my fellow cancer traveler, Tom Tennery, to you prayer lists. Prostate. Miracles do happen as I'm a living testament. With God, all things are possible! Love you all.

3 comments:

  1. Good for your recovering taste buds and for that chicken wing. I am in awe that you are already resuming exercise, and who care a bit about times and the amount of weights you are lifting. The amazing thing is that you are working out, so give yourself a big pat on the back, dear competitive friend. You have been though radiation, chemo, major surgery, and you are fretting that you walked a mile in less than 20 minutes! Now I know you are getting better.

    Lots of love, Grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have always loved the mountains and you will see the 360 view before long. I know just where it will be--up the road take a left, narrow trail and before long you can see Colorado.
    I am so proud of you and your pray for me and I will hang in there attitude. I love you, honey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW the taste buds are startng to work again. That's awsome, before you know it, all of the foods you enjoy and love will taste perfectly just like you remember them. As for your "conditioning", let's look at where you have been and where you are. Could some of todays world class atheletes do any better? I doubt it. The journey you are on requires not only courage and determination, but prayer and faith. You need all 4 of these attributes to be at 100% to win. I've never known you to give less than 100% in anything. Plus you have 100% of all of us behind you. So there you have it. Before you know it you'll be hiking your favorite trails in Tres Ritos. I just hope I can keep up with you.
    Love you bro!

    ReplyDelete