Saturday, December 19, 2009

Today is the day for "asides."
Why do I keep updating this Blog when it looks like I've "cleared all the hurdles"? Because I only think I have. And if someone discovering they have this dang esophageal cancer stuff (and they find out about the Blog) they will have some idea what to expect and hopefully how to deal with it as they travel the journey.
May I revisit 2009 in the Railsback household. In January, (the 3rd to be exact), I fell and broke my right femur. This was just a month after Lynda and I had volunteered to be the working chairs for the Harris Hospital Gala, Dec. 4, 2009. (Lynda was pulled fighting and screaming into that responsibility, because our business was taking a lot of our time and we had some major travel plans for 2009.) However, Lynda stepped into the major part of the leadership role when I "went down." The doc pinned my femur back together and finally by June 20 I ran my first foot race in 2009. Eight days later I found out I had cancer, which started the second half of 09 with a bang.
You know what has happened since then. The Lord took care of cutting my work schedule back and with cancer our major travel plans hit the waste basket, so, what was there to do? Concentrate on the Gala. (Ain't it great how the Lord puts you where He feels you can do some good, whether you think you should be there are not?)
Our goal was to sponsor the two scheduled Adult Cancer Camps for 2010. When we walked into the event on that Friday night we were at a Net of $50,000 for the camps. We were at about 60% of where we had hoped to be when we created our budget, Jan. 2009. Plus, instead of having 600 at Gala our actual attendance was about 350. Businesses that we had approached replied, "How can we be a major part in your endeavor when we are laying off people?" The answer was, "You can't." The Gala had no silent or live auctions, just two five minute pleas at the band breaks. The final results are in. We will net over $80,000 for the camps, which will take care of them both. Will miracles ever cease? Not in my lifetime! I'm still flabbergasted. And, there are still some gifts coming in. I kinda think the Lord had Lynda and I where He wanted us. We are proud and humbled to have been a part of a project that will touch the lives of our friends with cancer.
OK, need to add a coupla of names to your prayer lists. I thank you for your prayers for Tommy T. He had a hopeful report from the doc this last week. Answer to prayers. Please add Jimmy D and Tracy P, both facing challenges that place them on this journey with me.
Love you all!
Oh yes, Lynda has forgiven me for committing "us" to the Gala. You should have heard her extemporaneous "pitch" that night at the second band break. She had me crying, but really, that's no big deal I guess. I cry all the time, just lately from joy!
Final "aside." The night of the Gala one of my long time pals came in wearing (the theme that night was "Blue Christmas" because the name of the camp in the Bluebonnet camp) wearing a blue Santa Claus suit that he had made. He was a hit! Just kept bringing back checks from people that he had "buttonholed" all night. Life is Good.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Your 2009 was most eventful, in good ways and in tough ways, and you didn't even mention your journey to Washington, D.C. in January.

    May 2010 be less "eventful" on the tough side, and may some of those travel plans be resurrected.

    Congratulations on raising all the funds needed for the two cancer camps. A big accomplishment, particularly in these hard economic times, Lynda and Leighton!

    I am most proud to have friends who care for others while they themselves are in the thick of the fight, but I am not surprised one bit.

    Blessings, joy and peace this Christmas, Grace

    ReplyDelete