Friday, December 4, 2009

Now we have hit that plateau. Up every AM, feel great (like a real person) until about 11 AM and then it's nap time. Holding my weight at 135. Taste buds are still whacked out. Not much that's solid tastes worth eating. Went to the chemo doc last week and he told (actually "retold") me that at surgery they did some biopises and there was still some cancer cells in my lymph nodes. That means more chemo after I begin to get my strength back. Hopefully, after the first of the year. Went to the surgery doc yesterday and he tells me that where he took out the cancer he also (had no choice) took out the area of the stomach that produces the "thought" that tells me I'm hungry. No more hunger pains for me. I must program myself to eat. (I will be glad to do that when stuff tastes good.} But, even with all that I am feeling better. Received a release so that I can began to work out again. On my note from the doc it said, "Patient is very deconditioned." Boy, is that an understatement!
Tonight is a special night. As I told you earlier, Lynda and I agreed to be the working chairs for the Hospital Gala (non Gala) that benefits an Adult Cancer Camp, and that's tonight. We are staying at the hotel and this afternoon I will rest and "feed" in preparation for the festivities. Who would have thought, last January, that I would be elgible to go that camp, as a camper? It is going to be a fun night and we have already raised enough money to fund a camp for 2010. Love you all and Lynda is surviving well and I couldn't do without her. God is Good.

2 comments:

  1. Is "whacked out" the layman's term?

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, congratulations to you and Lynda for chairing the gala to raise money for the cancer camp, and yes, there is an irony in that since your diagnosis. All the more reason to hold the event.

    As for the hard news about more chemo in the future: take it one day at a time. Yeah, so easy for me to say, but that simple philosophy has worked for Tom and me during the times our son and daughter have been seriously ill.

    Sorry about losing the part of the stomach which triggers hunger. Never really thought about the anatomy of hunger pangs, so you and your doctors are giving all of us an unwished for education.

    Being "deconditioned" is a permanent state for many of us, but you are a runner and will work to become "conditioned" again. No doubt there!

    Courage, my brave friend. God is with you, Lynda is by your side, and many, many friends are rooting and praying for you every day.

    Peace and Love, Grace

    ReplyDelete