Saturday, December 26, 2009

Good news, then "news" that follows it!
Yesterday, Christmas dinner, I had my first piece of beef that tasted like beef in I don't know when. In the last week my taste buds had been "blossoming" so I hoped (and prayed) that is was only a matter of time before this happened. In that week I have been able to eat more and different stuff, but, along with that "privilege" another learning curve has presented itself, upset stomach (if that's what you call what I've got left.)
Doesn't bother me during the day it's just about 3 AM every night that "bubble, bubble, toil and trouble" visit. Called my surgery doc, who said this might happen, and he has me on Maalox Advanced and it's helping some. What I'm learning is that now I can't eat more that "one helping" at a time which is telling me that I will have to eat five times, or more, a day --- at least for a while. The doc sez that eventually my upper intestine will learn " to act as a stomach." Now, you tell me that we weren't "Designed" by a Supreme Being! You might try it but it will not work! Living (thank the Lord) and learning. More info on that, later, as it develops.
Now, one of the reasons the Lord has left me on the earth for now. Last week my (wonderful) Primary Care Physician called and asked if I would mind talking to a Mom (whose age showed her to be a contemporary of mine) whose son had just been designosed with exactly the same type of cancer in the same place that I "had" it and the Mom felt like this was the "end of the line." "Nope," I said, "I would be privileged to talk with her."
Made the call and we had a great visit. Told her, based on my experience --- which I shared with her extensively, there is life "with" cancer and the docs he has (which are the same as mine) are as good as one can get anywhere. I shared with her my Blog site. In about two hours I received this upbeat email to say that she had read it all and forwarded it to her son and many others of her family. Life is good and God is good!
Next Tuesday I have another scan (requested by the chemo doc.) The best scenario that could follow the results is that I'm "cancer free" enough, for now, that I will not have to have anymore chemo. Second option is that, based on the results, I would have to have four more rounds of chemo, one treatment every three weeks, starting just after the first of the year. We will know the results after my visit with that wonderful chemo doc after Jan. 10. You all will be the 2nd to know!
Wonderful Lynda continues to keep me on the "straight and narrow" --- as best she can.
Oh yes, fellow travelers, my oldest granddaughter called on December 23 to announce that she is engaged to a wonderful guy (which Lynda and I have met and he has "passed the test") and now there's a wedding in our future sometime late 2010. Praise the Lord and I'm going to live to see it!
Love you all!

1 comment:

  1. Back tonight (Sunday) from a relaxed Christmas in Taos where our days were bright and sunny, but very cold, and the nights . . . burrrrrr! Lots of skiers/snowboarders at Sipapu when we passed through on our way to and fro, though our two sons skied at Taos. Tres Ritos is there waiting for you and Lynda.

    I am not at all surprised that you are already reaching out to others who have a similar cancer. God be with that Mom and her son as they make this journey, hopefully, to recovery. Your blog now takes on a new importance.

    I will pray for a good report from the upcoming scan, but whatever, you will make it.

    Your granddaughter's wedding late in 2010 is a blessing and a goal on your road to recovery. In the midst of all this "crap," what joyous news!

    So glad food is beginning to taste better, and hey, eating five small meals is like grazing all day. Hope that three AM. upset subsides soon.

    Love and blessings for the New Year and always,

    Grace

    ReplyDelete