Monday, January 4, 2010

What a difference a week makes! Or, could it be a New Year? Taste buds have "blossomed." Almost all food tastes good again. Before, when I filled my plate at a meal, I would take only very small portions until I figured out what I could eat. Now I take regular portions of almost everything and can eat what I call a regular meal. And to me, that's a "wow." And, with every "up" there is a "sideways." (Ain't no "downs in this house any more.") Now that I eat more food my (2/3) stomach is having to learn to deal with it. And as it learns I have to learn to deal with it's "dealings."
Rule #1: Never lay down to take a nap until 1 and 1/2 hours after eating. Rule #2: Take one Maalox Advanced before you go to bed or you will be getting up and taking one sometime in the next two hours.
Is this a good trade off to using your feeding tube?
Dang right, pardner!
Speaking of feeding tubes. As you know it's an appendage that is inserted into your lower intestine, comes out just above your belly button and you take your nourishment thru it when you have a blockage in your esophagus.
Now, when you want to "wean" yourself off the tube, you cut down on the number of cans (8 ounces each) that you feed your self. Then when your are able to eat "regular" food you can choose not to use it for a day or two or three.
That's real good except you have to tape the value that controls food going in and out (and it does "come back out" but don't ask me how) to your gut. It's about the size of a pack of cigarettes but with valves and stuff that "stick" you if you happen to hit it. The valve can be removed but I couldn't find anything to use as a stopper. Went to the pharmacy, they had nothing but they gave me the phone number of a medical supply company. Called them. "Yep," they said, "I know what you are talking about but we've nothing plug it up with." Not to be discouraged, I went to my local hardware store, Mr. C's. Presented to them my challenge asking for either a hard plastic or fiberglass plug. "Sorry," I was told, "but we do have a rubber one." Bingo, fit like a charm. Now I walk around and don't look like I'm "packing." Life is good! Mr's C's is good. God is good!

3 comments:

  1. Leghton, Sounds like you are getting better day by day. Being able to eat a regular meal which is tasty is a big step forward. My engineering husband would be proud of your and Mr. C's ingenuity in finding a way to put a "plug in the dyke," so to speak.

    Keep on truckin' and we will keep on rootin' for
    you and Lynda.

    Prayers for a more tranquil New Year, Grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, make that "dike." My many women friends who self identify as "dykes" would be howling with laughter at my spelling goof!

    Love ya and love them. Cheers, Grace

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pops, you crack me up! John and I have always sworn by Mr. C's, our beloved hardware store! Our motto is: "If you can't get it at Mr. C's, you don't need it!" How wonderful that you're enjoying food more now. Heck, you'll be back to fightin' weight soon! Love and hi to Lynda, Ann & John

    ReplyDelete