Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Today I received an answer to prayer that I didn't realize I prayed for. The answer was "Wait." And, after fighting my human side that wanted to ask "Why?", I am now resolved to the answer.
My docs, chemo, digestive and the one who does scans, plus my brother Charles, have been mulling over the fact that I have that "twist" in my gut and have been looking for a solution. After much discussion, which I dearly appreciate, they got me an appointment with a general surgeon, the one who put in my feeding tube and I trust him with my life. Their collective thought was that he could, laposcopeley, (I misspelled that word but it means with three little bitty holes he sends in a camera and coupla sets of scissors and pulls out what doesn't need to be there and you get well), I digressed there! They felt that he could do one of three things and I might live a little more happily the rest of my life. They were: 1. Find that the problem was adhesions and cut them out and my "twist" would be gone. Or, 2. Find some lymph nodes (probably with a bit of cancer in them), trim those out and I'd be happy, or 3. If the first two don't work then create a bypass around the "twist." Sounded good to me and I looked forward to which option he would choose. First thing he did was to tap just above my belly button, where the my last surgery was, and proclaim, "Hmmm, that's kinda hard and it could be the tumor growing right there and if I go in, which in any case would be a full blown surgery, I could be doing more damage than good."
I wanted to say, "Is this a Ceallis commercial where they tell all the negative effects of the drug and never say anything about the good side?" But I didn't. While I was pulling myself off the floor he said, "Before we can make any decision (I started feeling some hope) I need for you to get another scan." OK, so there is hope!!!!! Soooo, now I'm set for it on Sept. 7, but now, I'm off to New Mexico for the next five days and going to stay cool. Needless to say, Caregiver Lynda was devastated but after reviewing the fact that under the present conditions we can go on for a long time (and the Lord whopping us up side the head a coupla times), we moved on.
Life is good so appreciate every second. Hard to believe this journey has been over a year but then I realize that's time the Lord has given me and I feel blessed. Love you all.

2 comments:

  1. Leighton, You have had so many scans that I bet you glow in the dark! If not, certainly your indominable spirit glows in the dark AND in the sunlight, on view to all of us, your family and friends.

    You two enjoy Tres Ritos and the cool weather, a welcome relief from the August/September heat of the Metroplex.

    Prayers are with you as you "wait," and also there is that Zozobra thing I mentioned.

    Friends forever, Grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now i'm jealous. Tres Ritos, N.M. That's definately God's country. I can't think of a better place to wait out the results. Our prayers are always there.

    All our love, Robert and Linda

    ReplyDelete