Sunday, September 13, 2009

Just a bit of background. January 2009 brought some unwelcome changes into Lynda and my lives. In 2008, GM, the company that I had worked for 30 years, went bankrupt. In reorganization they chose to eliminate all health insurance for salaried employees on December 31,if you were of Medicare age. So, on January 1 we became members of AARP Medicare Complete from Secure Horizon, an HMO. (My I add here that Lynda and I have been the healthiest 70 year olds on the planet.) This insurance was touted as being "Medicare plus." It did have some "extras" but it sure was different. I'll stop there for now.
January 3, I fell in the hall at home and broke my right femur. Not a fun experience, but with the help of my sweetie and a good doc, on June 27 I ran my first foot race of 2009. A one miler in Plano. It was sweet. However, the prior week I had been having trouble getting food from my mouth into my stomach and my primary doc had sent me for an endoscope. The eno doc found an obstruction, took a biopsy and sent it to the lab. On June 28, Lynda and I took a little R&R trip to Santa Monica and set up camp in a beautiful hotel, Shutters on the Beach. On June 29 I received a call from the endo doc and he told me I had cancer. Stage 3. Well, there you have that!

No comments:

Post a Comment