Monday, November 23, 2009

You know, sometimes you need your caregiver to slap you up side the head when you begin think your not making progress fast enough. Sunday, I bemoaning the fact that I had hit a "plateau." "Only" able to eat a few solids and lots of fluids. Lynda looked me in the eye and said, "Leighton, what do you expect? You've only been out of the hospital one week, from major surgery! You expect to get better overnight?"
Sobered me up. Now, I'm rejoicing in the "onlys".
Good news on my right chest. It has really hurt. I guess since they had to deflate the lung, cut along below my shoulder blade, squeeze open a coupla ribs, stitch my esophagus and stomach together thru that hole, plus then sticking two drain tubes in it, I guess my chest had a right to hurt. Finally, the last two nights I can lay on my back without pain. Not that I had had a lot but there were only a coupla ways I could get "comfortable" at night so anything helps.
After laying on my back those 10 days needless to say I was really weak, but strength and stamina are slowly returning, but guess what, I have to "go out and get it" they just don't come back on their own.
Went to church yesterday, which was a blessing. Now looking forward to ALL my family coming in for Thanksgiving. God is good!
Love you all!

2 comments:

  1. Glad that you are recovering from major surgery. You are still on my prayer list thanking God for your success.
    Charles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leighton and Lynda,

    Have a blessed Thanksgiving with all your family. I love to read about your progress, and getting out to church is a big step forward.

    Hope the pain continues to abate and your strength returns. I don't expect you to sit around more than you need to, so take it slowly and be wise in your recovery.

    Listen to your Lynda. Moderation in everything except love.

    Grace

    ReplyDelete