Friday, October 2, 2009

Hard to believe, looking at the date of yesterday's post, it's only been one month that I've been on the rad/chemo journey. I have to force myself to remember "life before cancer." Not to worry, I can imagine myself out running with my kids and grandkids and escaping to a mountain cabin with my sweetie. The future is what counts, isn't it!
Yesterday did bring us to a crossroads. Endo doc did a dilitation and found that the rads and chemo were not bringing (all) the desired results that had been expected. (My endo doc did the procedure and my chemo doc was there and observed, which was cool and unexpected.) Because my opening closed up 18 hours later on the last dilitation they decided to keep me overnight. Now, here I sit, taking fluids, and my best guess is (based on conversations before the procedure with those two docs) is that I will be the proud recipient of a feeding tube and I may have seen (for this round anyway) the end of rad and chemo. Looks like the "new" protocol of choice is to "fatten" me up and then cut the cancer out. Better than a kick in the butt! Funny how earlier the thought of surgery scared me and now, after the rad and chemo has beat the heck out of me, it would be a welcome alternative.
Your prayers surround me.

1 comment:

  1. Leighton, You are one brave fellow, and we who love you and pray for you, scattered throughout the country, are doing what we can from afar to boost your spirits. If you require a feeding tube to get needed nourishment, embrace it; and if surgery is next on the agenda, let us know so we can stay in constant prayer that it will have the most positive outcome.

    Damn, cancer "sucks," as my students used to say about so many things, and I always corrected their crude language. But here I am using that same word, and somehow it seems to be the most fitting thing to say, at least in a public forum.

    I send you, your sweetie and all your family my
    most loving, healing thoughts. Grace

    ReplyDelete