Thursday, October 29, 2009

To my Blog followers. I wrote the following to all my high school friends that my buddy, Dock Sewell, keeps me "attached" to. Rather than "edit" it, I just copied it over. It contains what I wanted to tell all of you, as the time for surgerey draws nigh. Love you all.

To my Levelland friends:
I know many of you have keep up with my cancer journey on my Blog and on Facebook (which my #2 daughter Angie updates), but there are many of you, like me, that only venture "over on those dark sides" accidentally.
To those, let me bring you up to date.
As you know I have esophageal cancer, right where the esophagus joins my stomach. I have had thirty days of rads and chemo and now that they've beat it up that way (plus beating up my body) the doc is going to remove it. They will take about four or five inches of my esophagus and one third of my stomach and sew them together. I will be in ICU for two or three days and in the hospital for no longer than eleven. The surgery, Nov. 4, 7:30 AM, will take a minimum of 6 hours. The reason for the longer hospital stay is that they want to make sure there are no "leaks" in their work. And I'm OK with that.
I have appreciated all your prayers but I request you hold Lynda and all my family up to the Lord during these trying times.
Your pal,
Leighton

5 comments:

  1. Leighton, I have prayed to God for he has been with you, Lynda and your family all the way to this point, to see you through a complete recovery. Please tell your family that I wil check your blog daily. Please call ot email me if there is ANYTHING I can do. TOM SIBLEY cell 409 658 1818

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, missed a few days of your blog & am now surprised to learn the surgery is already a GO!! That is good news to hear...That you're ready & strong enough for it is what's good to hear! Bobby & I are pulling for you as always, Leighton and we'll continue to pray for you, as well as for God to guide the surgeon's hands who will get you through this - Then it's on with your journey to healing!!!
    Sending love & hugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't add much--if anything--to what Tom, Wanda, Grace and others have said so eloquently and lovingly. Leighton, please know (as if you didn't already) that you are loved, that there will be many of us in that operating room with the surgical team, holding your hand close to our cheeks, rubbing your feet, massaging your heart, keeping you warm, stroking your forehead, and surrounding you and the team with prayer. You know something--I can't remember when I didn't know you and dang sure can't let go now! Love also to Linda and the girls from a buddy for life--DP

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well what can I say to you, we have made it this far and I am still good to go for a long time. Just remember that you are married to a tough West Texas gal and I will have enough strength for 2 when your is low. You are my remarkable guy and I will be there for you. I love you!!! Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leighton and Lynda,

    Whatever bravery I have, I am loaning it to you as you approach this difficult surgery. We all have faith that you are in God's merciful hands. May you feel His peace in your head, in your heart, and in your body.

    As always with faith and love, Grace

    ReplyDelete